MoTP (57055-82-0) specifically ablates zebrafish larval melanocytes. Melanocytotoxicity is dependent on tyrosinase activity1,2. MoTP is a useful tool for elucidating melanocyte stem cell regeneration, recruitment and maintenance3-5.
1) Yang et al. (2006), Small molecule-induced ablation and subsequent regeneration of larval zebrafish melanocytes; Development, 133 3563
2) Yang et al. (2007), Mutations in gfpt1 and skiv2I2 cause distinct stage-specific defects in larval melanocyte regeneration in zebrafish; PLoS Genet., 3 e88
3) Hultman et al. (2009), Defects in ErbB-dependent establishment of adult melanocyte stem cells reveal independent origins for embryonic and regeneration melanocytes; PLoS Genet., 5 e1000544
4) Hultman et al. (2010), Differential contribution of direct-developing and stem cell-derived melanocytes to the zebrafish larval pigment pattern; Dev. Biol., 337 425
5) Hultman et al. (2008), Small molecule modifier screen for kit-dependent functions in zebrafish embryonic melanocytes; Zebrafish, 5 279