Galanthamine HBr (1953-04-4) is a long-acting, centrally active acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, IC50 = 410 nM1. Allosteric potentiator at neuronal nicotinic ACh receptors2. Prevents β-amyloid-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y and bovine chromaffin cells3. Galanthamine HBr is a clinically useful agent for symptomatic relief of Alzheimer's disease but fails to prevent progression of the disease4,5.
1) Racchi et al. (2004), Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors: novel activities of old molecules; Pharmacol. Res., 50 441
2) Samochocki et al. (2003), Galantamine is an allosterically potentiating ligand of neuronal nicotinic but not of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors; J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 305 1024
3) Arias et al. (2004), Galantamine prevents apoptosis induced by beta-amyloid and thapsigargin: involvement of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors; Neuropharmacology, 46 103
4) Rockwood et al. (2001), Effects of a flexible galantamine dose in Alzheimer's disease: a randomized, controlled trial; J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, 71 589
5) Chen et al. (2007), Current experimental therapy for Alzheimer's disease; Curr. Neuropharmacol., 5 127